This healthy and delicious salad comes together in just minutes!
You know that feeling when all the stars are aligned and things seem to be coming together? I’ve been feeling that way recently. Since my horrible depressive episode a few weeks ago, I have been working hard to get back to a good mental place. Maybe it’s because that experience shook me so much, but I am willing myself to try and find meaning in as much as possible as I go throughout my day. I also think having some perspective and cutting myself some slack is key to curbing my anxiety.
I volunteered for City Harvest a couple of weeks ago and was reminded that there are a lot less fortunate people than myself. I know that for many people, every day is a struggle to simply make ends meet. Some posit that one of the main reasons people volunteer is for the positive feelings that come as a byproduct of knowing you helped someone. I believe this to be true, and I don’t think it’s a negative factor by any means. Human beings need to connect; it’s what keeps us going.
Despite the dreadful stomach virus I contracted over the weekend (I forgot how brutal those can be), my healthier mental state is creating healthier food cravings. Yesterday I couldn’t stop thinking about avocados. All day long, images of avocados kept popping into my head. I’m sure my body was simply craving whatever nutrients avocados possess. That said, I opted for a turkey burger for dinner.
I did make this Pistachio Apple Salad, adapted from Epicurious, for lunch yesterday and it was perfectly delicious. There aren’t many salads that I want second helpings of, but this one is one of them. It hits all of the major taste profiles: sour, sweet, salty, bitter, and umami. Because it calls for a Granny Smith apple, it’s not super sweet. However, if you want to use something sweeter, I think dried figs would be a lovely substitute, as they pair beautifully with blue cheese and pistachios. Making this salad took all of 7 minutes! So no excuses for throwing together a quick, healthy lunch!
Pistachio Apple Salad
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice about 1/2 of a large orange
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sweet mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachio nuts
- For dressing, whisk together orange juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, and garlic; gradually whisk in oil until well blended. Set aside to mellow flavors.
- For salad, divide greens among four salad plates. Top with apple slices. Sprinkle with cheese and nuts.
- Whisk dressing; drizzle over salads.