Make your chicken sandwich more exciting by using focaccia bread! Featuring creamy avocado, roasted red peppers, and fresh spinach, this sandwich is perfect for a quick and healthy lunch.
Life has been a bit hectic lately, and I haven’t had as much time to do my usual weekly meal planning. However, last week we ended up with a lot of leftovers from ordering out, etc. and I discovered that we had part of a rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator. I love making sandwiches with rotisserie chicken. Besides being tender and juicy, rotisserie chicken can make life so much easier when you don’t have a lot of time for meal prep. I created this chicken avocado focaccia sandwich recipe with leftover chicken in mind.
For this sandwich, I used my sourdough rosemary focaccia but you can use any flavor of focaccia that you prefer. The combination of fresh spinach, juicy chicken, creamy avocado, sweet red peppers and rich provolone all work fantastically together to create a satisfying and healthy sandwich. Wrap it in foil and take yourself on a picnic this summer! And don’t forget your pink grapefruit cocktail!
Variations & Substitutions
If you don’t use garlic focaccia, add 1 minced clove of garlic to your mayo before spreading it on your sandwich.
Smash avocado with a fork instead of slicing it, and spread it on your sandwich after adding the mayo.
Add 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary or Italian seasoning to your mayo if you don’t use rosemary focaccia.
Substitute two slices of tomato on sandwiches if you don’t have roasted red peppers available.
Grill your sandwich to turn it into a panini!
- Rosemary, garlic, or onion focaccia – excellent bread choice when making any and all sandwiches
- light mayonnaise – adds eggy creaminess (you can also use full-fat mayonnaise)
- fresh spinach – my go-to when I want bitter leafy greens
- roasted red peppers – they add natural sweetness to any dish
- cooked (or rotisserie) chicken – an easy and delicious way to eat chicken (and use it in a variety of ways)
- avocado – a great natural fat alternative to butter and/or oil
- provolone or mozzarella cheese – two great mild and soft cheese options
Enjoy your week, and feel free to drop me a line in the comments – I would love to hear if you try this recipe! Or tag me on Instagram @maryannehoekstra to let me know how it turned out! Also, if you are enjoying my blog, please consider recommending it to your friends. They can subscribe here.
More Easy Recipe Ideas!
- Mango Overnight Oats
- Corn Avocado Black Bean Salsa
- Cucumber Gazpacho with Avocado
- Summer Tortellini Salad
- Pickled Red Onions
Chicken Avocado Focaccia Sandwich
- 2 pieces (4"x5" each) rosemary, garlic, or onion focaccia
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked (or rotisserie) chicken
- 1/2 avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cut focaccia pieces in half horizontally and place cut side up on cutting board.
- Spread mayonnaise on all four halves. On one side of each sandwich, layer spinach, red peppers, chicken, avocado, and mozzarella. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add tops to both sandwiches and cut in half.