Crispy, crunchy, roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic are the perfect anytime side dish!
Like most people who grew up in the 1980’s, I was fed my fair share of boiled, mushy Brussels sprouts. But, in the last few decades, people have learned about the genius of roasted Brussels sprouts. And thank god we did! I can’t think of a better way to prepare these little gems. Roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic are always on rotation in my house as a go-to easy veggie side dish.
One of the main reasons I love roasted Brussels sprouts so much is that they become crispy and crunchy on the outside while turning caramelized and tender on the inside. I often have to prevent myself from standing at the counter munching on them like potato chips or french fries when I take them out of the oven.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy – Toss your ingredients into a bowl and roast for 35 minutes; dinner doesn’t get any easier than this!
- Texture – Crunchy, crispy exterior with a tender interior
- Delicious – Garlicky, salty, caramelized Brussels sprouts are a tasty way to eat your vegetables!
- Versatile – Add a sprinkle of parmesan, lemon zest, or smoked paprika to change this recipe up each time you make it!
What Are The Needed Ingredients?
Brussels Sprouts – I recommend using fresh Brussels sprouts when roasting them. You can use frozen, but they won’t roast as nicely due to the higher moisture content.
Garlic – Because this is a simple recipe with very few ingredients, I suggest using fresh garlic to get that nice pop of flavor. You can use garlic powder if you are in a pinch, but it won’t be quite as fresh-tasting.
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – Use an olive oil with light, fruity notes. I really like Bertolli brand as my everyday olive oil, as it has a great flavor and is reasonable priced.
How To Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic
- Step 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2. Trim the tough ends of your Brussels sprouts, give them a good rinse, and cut in half (if using really large Brussels sprouts, you can cut into thirds or quarters).
- Step 3. Place Brussels sprouts into a medium bowl. Add garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss until well combined.
- Step 4. Transfer to a baking sheet and spread out evenly. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until crisp on the outside. Serve immediately.
Recipe Notes and Helpful Tips
Be sure to trim the tough stems off the ends of your Brussels sprouts, as well as any leaves that look yellow. Place them in a bowl and give them a good rinse as well.
Depending on the size of your Brussels sprouts, they can be halved or quartered. If you cut them into smaller sizes, they will roast faster.
I recommend eating roasted Brussels sprouts immediately after removing them from the oven. If you make them ahead of time, they can be reheated in a 350 degree F. oven for about 5-7 minutes.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, follow the instructions noted above.
What To Serve with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Creamy Pasta with Scallops and Bacon
- Healthy Impossible Burger Meatballs
- Chicken Avocado Focaccia Sandwich
- Vegan Flatbread Pizza
- French Onion Grilled Cheese
Enjoy your week, and feel free to drop me a line in the comments – I would love to hear if you try this recipe! Or tag me on Instagram @maryannehoekstra to let me know how it turned out! Also, if you are enjoying my blog, please consider recommending it to your friends. They can subscribe here.
More Vegetarian Side Dish Recipes!
- Tuscan Bean Salad
- Cumin Roasted Carrots with Yogurt Sauce
- Roasted Red Skin Potatoes with Chimichurri
- Miso Slaw
- Roasted Sweet Peppers with Garlicky Breadcrumbs
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, rinsed, trimmed, and halved
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim the tough ends of your Brussels sprouts, give them a good rinse, and cut in half (if using really large Brussels sprouts, you can cut into thirds or quarters).
- Place Brussels sprouts into a medium bowl. Add garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss until well combined.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and spread out evenly. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until crisp on the outside. Serve immediately.