With no artificial additives or fillers, this homemade vegan nutella recipe is packed with hazelnuts and chocolate! And so easy to make!
I have loved Nutella ever since first discovering it while studying abroad in England. I think I’ve eaten my weight in banana-Nutella crepes over the years. But guess what? This recipe is SO MUCH BETTER than the store-bought stuff. Without additives and chemicals masking the flavor, the chocolate and hazelnut flavors are much more intense.
What’s more, homemade Nutella doesn’t have that waxy residue of the store-bought variety. And it can be prepped in just 10 minutes! With Valentine’s Day coming up, this chocolaty hazelnut spread would make a fantastic homemade gift. Present it in a cute Mason jar, and your Valentine will be forever grateful.
Why This Recipe Works
Excellent topping for toast, waffles, pancakes, or fruit!
Quick & Easy
What Are The Needed Ingredients?
- Dark chocolate (60% or higher)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Homemade Nutella (Vegan)
1. Melt the dark chocolate in a saucepan over gently simmering water. Stir until smooth. Let cool completely.
2. In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt, and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
3. Add the melted chocolate and blend well.
4. Place into airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe Notes and FAQ’s
Is Nutella gluten-free? Yes! This recipe is absolutely gluten-free.
Is store-bought Nutella vegan? No, it contains skimmed milk powder.
How should I store my Nutella? I recommend storing it in an airtight container at room temperature (for up to 2 weeks) for optimum freshness. It also freezes well!
When you grind the hazelnuts, you will see that they go through stages: they become fine crumbs after the first minute or two. But if you keep grinding for another 2-3 minutes, the hazelnuts will turn into hazelnut butter, which is what you want.
If you prefer your nutella to be sweeter, add 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup or honey to your mixture when blending.
Enjoy your week, and feel free to drop me a line in the comments – I would love to hear if you try this recipe! Or tag me on Instagram @maryannehoekstra to let me know how it turned out! Also, if you are enjoying my blog, please consider recommending it to your friends. They can subscribe here.
More Chocolate Recipe Ideas!
Homemade Nutella (Vegan)
- 12 oz. (vegan) dark chocolate (60% or higher)
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and cooled
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt the dark chocolate in a saucepan over gently simmering water. Stir until smooth. Let cool completely.
- In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt, and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Add the melted chocolate and blend well.
- Place into airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.