A rich and creamy no-bake and vegan blackberry coconut cream tart that will put you in a summer mindset without the hassle of baking a pie!
A few nights ago, I had an old friend over for dinner. As I thought about what to make for dessert, I pulled a recipe that I have been wanting to try for some time now but always told myself I would make another time. Making this vegan blackberry tart for no other reason other than inviting a friend over was so liberating – it almost felt rebellious! I made a mental note to do this more often. Food is one of my great passions, and cooking and baking are really important ways that I express and nurture myself and others.
This tart is no joke. If you love coconut like I do, you will really dig this dessert. It’s super simple to make, and it’s very healthy given that the crust is made from almonds and dates (there is only a small amount of refined sugar in the cream filling). The raw date and almond crust is very versatile and can be used as a base for a variety of other vegan sweets. If you aren’t vegan, you could make “regular” whipped cream for this tart and it would be just as delicious!
(Vegan) Blackberry-Coconut Cream Tart
The original recipe, found in Food & Wine magazine, called for hazelnuts in the crust, but I substituted almonds. You can really use any nut that you prefer! This tasty little nugget put me in a summer mindset, with the berries and coconut combination. Making pies can be a bit of a pain, so this is a nice alternative for a summery pie without the hassle of making pie crust and turning on the oven. Just refrigerate and pull the tart out when ready to serve!
Enjoy your week, and feel free to drop me a line in the comments – I would love to hear if you try this recipe! Or tag me on Instagram @maryannehoekstra to let me know how it turned out! Also, if you are enjoying my blog, please consider recommending it to your friends. They can subscribe here.
Blackberry - Coconut Cream Tart w/ Raw Almond Crust
- 3/4 lb. dates
- 2 cups almonds 1/2 lb.
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 cup 2-12 oz. cans chilled* unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 12 oz. blackberries or berry of your choosing
- In a medium bowl, cover the dates with water and let soak for 2 hours; drain. Pit the dates.
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds until coarsely chopped. Add the dates, almond flour, a pinch of salt and 6 tablespoons of the coconut oil and pulse until the dough just comes together.
- Press the dough into a 9-inch pie pan (about 1/4-inch thick), pressing the mixture all the way up the sides of the pan. Freeze the crust until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, remove the coconut milk from the fridge without tipping or shaking and remove the lid. Scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid behind.
- Place hardened cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Beat for 5 minutes with a mixer until creamy. Then add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until creamy and smooth - about 2 more minutes.
- Spread coconut cream mixture all over the tart shell, leaving a 1/4-inch border, and top with berries.
- Loosely cover the tart, and refrigerate for one hour to allow cream to set up. Serve cold.