Soft and moist gluten-free muffins with chunky pieces of apple and warm cinnamon. It’s the perfect fall breakfast! And because the baking time is only 20 minutes, you can have these muffins on the table in 30 minutes!
Despite living in Southern California (and not having a proper autumn season), I plan on plunging head-first into my usual frenzy of fall baking this year. It’s what I’ve always done, and it gives me so much pleasure.
I created this chunky gluten-free apple muffin recipe with fall weather in mind, regardless of the temperature being in the 90’s here. The muffins are loaded with plump pieces of apple, warm spicy cinnamon, and a bit of yogurt for added tang and moisture. And this recipe couldn’t be easier, with minimal prep work and ready in just 30 minutes.
I put most of this batch in the freezer thinking I would save them for later this fall, but I’ve been pulling these beauties out of the freezer every morning wanting to enjoy them with my morning coffee. I should have made a double batch!
Why This Muffin Recipe Works
Tasty – I can’t decide what’s better, the chunky pieces of apple distributed throughout these moist muffins or the warm cinnamon! Ok, I love them equally. 🙂
Easy – Could these muffins BE any easier to make? (Chandler Bing lives!) Other than dicing your apples, you simply pour everything else into a mixing bowl and bake for 20 minutes!
Healthy – Not only does this recipe call for gluten-free flour, it also includes yogurt (you gotta help that gut bacteria along!), and it only has a small amount of butter and sugar.
How To Make Gluten-Free Apple Muffins
- Step 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place baking cup liners into muffin tin, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Step 2. Whisk together melted butter and yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and whisk thoroughly. Pour in sugar and vanilla extract and whisk for an additional minute.
- Step 3. In a separate bowl, combine gluten-free flour, xanthan gum (if using), baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Step 4. Add dry mixture to yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Fold in diced apples.
- Step 5. Using a cookie scoop or large spoon, distribute batter evenly into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Helpful Tips and Recipe Notes
If your gluten-free all-purpose flour already contains xanthan gum (mine already contains it), you can omit it from the recipe.
The batter for this muffin recipe is quite thick, but the diced apples add a lot of moisture, so don’t try to thin it out.
For best results, use room temperature eggs. This allow you to incorporate more air into the eggs when you beat/whisk them.
This recipe freezes really well, so go ahead and make a double batch!
Variations & Substitutions
- If you eat a plant-based diet, you can substitute vegan butter and yogurt in this recipe. I’ve made it this way before, and it comes out great! You can also substitute 2 flax eggs* (see recipe notes below) for the eggs.
- I love the generous amount of warm cinnamon in this recipe. But you could also add 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, cloves, or cardamom.
- This muffin recipe isn’t overly sweet, but you could cut the sugar in half and sprinkle a tiny bit more on top of the muffins to give them a bit of crunch.
Enjoy your week, and feel free to drop me a line in the comments – I would love to hear if you try this recipe! Or tag me on Instagram @maryannehoekstra to let me know how it turned out! Also, if you are enjoying my blog, please consider recommending it to your friends. They can subscribe here.
More Breakfast Recipe Ideas!
- Mango Overnight Oats
- Gooey Cinnamon Buns
- Almond Poppy Seed Muffins with Almond Paste Streusel
- Potato Onion Dill Biscuits
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes
Chunky Gluten-Free Apple Muffins
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (only needed if your flour doesn't already include it)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples (about 2 medium)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place baking cup liners into muffin tin, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together melted butter and yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and whisk thoroughly. Pour in sugar and vanilla extract and whisk for an additional minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine gluten-free flour, xanthan gum (if using), baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add dry mixture to yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Fold in diced apples.
- Using a cookie scoop or large spoon, distribute batter evenly into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.