📖 Mutabal-Middle Eastern Eggplant Dip
Mutabal is a smoky Middle Eastern eggplant dip that is simple to make. Pair it with pita or raw veggies for the perfect healthy and satisfying appetizer that's ready in just 30 minutes!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 eggplants
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- ¼ cup full-fat or 2% yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (for garnish)
- ¼ teaspoon each: cayenne pepper, ground cumin, smoked paprika (optional)
Pierce eggplants all over with a fork and place on a large baking sheet.
Turn broiler to the highest setting, and place eggplants under broiler for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until the skin turns black and the flesh is softened.
Let the eggplants cool down for 10-15 minutes.
Use a sharp knife to remove the skin off of eggplants (this should be very easy to do at this stage).
Chop the flesh and add it to a food processor or blender. Add tahini paste, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and salt, and blend until smooth. If using cayenne, cumin, and paprika, add and blend for an additional 30 seconds.
Transfer dip to a serving platter and garnish with parsley and olive oil. Serve with pita or crudité.
- To ensure beautifully smoky eggplant, grill them directly over an open flame or under a broiler. You can also roast your eggplant for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F, but it won't taste as smoky. However, you can add liquid smoke for a smoky flavor.
- Poke holes all over your eggplants to avoid exploding eggplant.
- How to store: Place dip in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- How to freeze: You can freeze this dip but the texture may change after being frozen. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Calories: 107kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 400mg | Potassium: 430mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1mg