A delicious crunchy Asian coleslaw with miso and creamy mushrooms!
Who doesn’t love coleslaw? It’s the perfect summer side dish. You can make it creamy using mayonnaise, or keep it lighter going the oil & vinegar route. Either way, I love it.
A few years ago, one of my co-workers shared her recipe for Asian coleslaw with miso, which turns your standard coleslaw into one with a delicious, earthy and nutty flavor profile. I added the mushrooms myself, and you can add as many other vegetables as you like.
- Baby bella mushrooms – these are my favorite mushrooms in the affordable category. They are much more flavorful than button mushrooms but in the same price range.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – if you prefer more of a neutral flavor, you can use any vegetable oil instead.
- Sesame seeds – they add a delicious crunch.
- Rice vinegar – vinegar made from fermented rice. If you don’t have it on hand, you can substitute white wine vinegar.
- White miso – fermented soy bean paste. If it’s not available, you can use soy sauce in its place.
- Granulated sugar – nicely complements the saltiness and umami of the miso.
- Fresh ginger – ginger adds a delicious spicy flavor.
- Sesame oil – vegetable oil derived from sesame seeds. It has a rich, nutty flavor.
- Coleslaw mix – I highly recommend using a bagged coleslaw mix for this recipe. It makes your life so much easier! Of course, if you have cabbage and carrots that you want to use instead, go for it!
Asian Coleslaw with Miso
If you prefer to skip the mushrooms, you will still have a super tasty and very flavorful Asian coleslaw. I added them because I love mushrooms, and I especially love mushrooms in my Asian dishes. But they are not necessary. Either way works!
Enjoy your week, and feel free to drop me a line in the comments – I would love to hear if you try this recipe! Or tag me on Instagram @maryannehoekstra to let me know how it turned out! Also, if you are enjoying my blog, please consider recommending it to your friends. They can subscribe here.
More Vegetarian Recipes
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, plus extra for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. white miso*
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 14 oz. bags slaw mix
- Place large sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes, until softened. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together sesame seeds, vinegar, miso, sugar, ginger, and salt.
- With a whisk, slowly incorporate sesame oil and olive oil into mixture.
- Add slaw mix and mushrooms to bowl and mix thoroughly. Add additional sesame seeds if you prefer. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate. Serve chilled.