Creamy white beans are paired with smoky bacon and healthy spinach. A perfect and quick anytime meal!
When the weather turns cold, I start to crave heartier fare but I don’t want anything too heavy. That’s where this cannellini beans with bacon and spinach dish comes in. Adapted from The Splendid Table, this recipe is creamy, smoky, filling, yet still quite healthy. And it can be made in just 15 minutes!
Despite the fact that we got ourselves a cute little tree, I’ve been listening to Christmas music while getting ready in the morning, AND I spent an entire weekend (and then some) making edible holiday gifts, it just doesn’t feel like Christmas this year. It might be partly due to the fact that it’s been insanely warm for this time of year-–it’s been in the 60’s for weeks now! Ugh. My husband finds it humorous that I should complain about this, but I stand by it.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounces smoky bacon
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots
- 1-28 oz. can cannellini beans
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper
Cannellini Beans with Bacon and Spinach Recipe
If you want to make this recipe even easier (or if you don’t have fresh spinach on hand), you can substitute the fresh spinach with frozen. I would recommend using 2-10 oz. or 1-16 oz. bag(s) of spinach.
I’ve made this recipe twice in the past month, and I can’t get enough of it. Not only is it a perfect, comforting winter meal (even if it is warmer than usual), it’s also very flavorful and quite healthy. If you don’t eat pork, you can simply leave out the bacon. To achieve a similar smoky taste, you can substitute smoked paprika or smoked salt would work as well.
More Cold Weather Recipes!
- Chana (Chickpea) Saag
- Portobello Burgers with Smoky Ranch Slaw
- Tahini Quinoa Bowl with Roasted Eggplant, Broccoli, and Tofu
Enjoy your week, and feel free to drop me a line in the comments – I would love to hear if you try this recipe! Or tag me on Instagram @maryannehoekstra to let me know how it turned out! Also, if you are enjoying my blog, please consider recommending it to your friends. They can subscribe here.
Cannellini Beans with Bacon & Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces smoky bacon cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 shallots minced
- 1 28-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put a large (approximately 10-inch) skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and let it get hot.
- Add the bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and shallots, and cook for 30 seconds longer. Add the beans and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and salt, season with pepper, and cook until the spinach wilts, about 4 minutes, adding a tablespoon or two of water, if needed, to help the spinach along. Serve immediately.